Monday, April 2, 2012

INTERVIEW

1.) Did you ever have living in Durango and being a Durango theater icon as a future for you, or did you have different dreams before this?
I have always worked toward a career in the theatre, and when I ended up in Durango (for it's beauty and great community), I just built that career here.



2.) When you first got started with directing was a it hard for you to do? How was it hard for you?
Directing was a natural evolution for me.  I started my career as an actress. Then I really got into stage managing. Directing is a perfect mix of both that came from years of training in acting and SM - and then I got director training in grad school. It seemed like an easy transition after that, although I always learn on every show.

3.) (you don't have to answer if this is too personal for you) What were some of the sacrifices that you had to make to be able to do what you do? I know you'll understand this because of the time involved in shows.  My biggest sacrifice is time to do other things in my life when I am consumed with a show.



4.) If you could go back in time, would you have changed any of the events up to today to get you to where you are right now in your job? No - I don't dwell on the past. I loved my career teaching at Florida State, then at DHS, then in London, and now freelancing here.  And it all worked well while I was raising a family. It was important for me to stay in one place and have a steady job while I was raising them, so touring and freelancing was out at that time, but now I get to try it! (I am directing URINETOWN in Crested Butte this summer)


5.) When you stage managed different things, were there something's that you didn't like and want to change? Why?

Stage managing is such a challenge. I love the organization involved. I would tend to beat myself up if I made a mistake in calling or doing something. I don't think that was very healthy, but whenever the SM messes up, it can mess with the whole show.



6.) After years of having amazing plays, were there any that didn't sit well with you that you directed?  Every show has its ups and downs.  I don't like the shows that aren't well-rehearsed because we are too pressed for rehearsal time.  I really struggled with directing OLIVER! because the kids were not well-trained and the set didn't work for our stage.  But, even then, there were a couple of fabulous leads.



7.) This experience has changed me so much, showing me a new look into theater. Has this experience with an intern changed anything for you? Since my career has been all about training new people, it's a lovely continuation of that.

Thank you for the lovely note. I cherish it--- good quote too!
I have adored working with you, Boone.  Thanks for being so willing to learn new things and to take on the leadership role with those little ones.  I know that theatre will always bring you joy, and I am glad to have helped you learn at this level. Here's to many more shows together! And if you ever need an adult to talk to, please know that you've got a friend in me ---- (sing that part to the tune from Aladdin)

No comments:

Post a Comment